As technology and innovation advance, we are gradually finding new ways to make our homes more efficient and fulfilling. One of the ways to do this is to swap your counter microwave with the best microwave drawer. These microwaves look great, are easily accessible and make your home more classy.
This post features the best reviews for microwave drawers and the buyer’s guide for making a suitable choice.
What is a Microwave Drawer?
A microwave drawer is a microwave unit installed into your lower kitchen cabinet rather than sitting on top of the counter. They are built to help conserve space and make the kitchen more efficient for cooking. Now that we’ve covered what drawer microwaves are let’s look at the best options available.
1. Sharp KB-6524PS Microwave Drawer
- ROOM TO SPARE: 1.2 cubic feet interior offers plenty of cooking space, with room enough for a 4-quart casserole dish or a 20-oz. beverage from your favorite coffee shop
- SMART DESIGN: AutoTouch key opens and closes the door automatically when your hands are full
- SENSOR COOK TECHNOLOGY: 11 sensor programs virtually eliminate guesswork from cooking and defrost times
- WATTAGE: 950 Watts
- DIMENSIONS(WxHxD): 23.88" x 15.88" x 26.19"
The best microwave drawer on the market is the Sharp KB-6524PS, a 24-inch unit made of stainless steel for maximum longevity. It’s designed to seamlessly fit in your kitchen without looking out of place to ensure it complements your interior style. This in-built microwave has a large interior giving you enough space to prepare and warm 4 quarts of food.
It’s an easy-to-use appliance featuring an AutoTouch key that you can use to automatically open or close the microwave door. As such, if your hands are full, you can still comfortably take food in and out of the unit without any trouble. It’s also easy to clean this microwave drawer in case of spills or messes.
With 11 automatic sensor programs, you don’t need advanced expertise to use this machine for your food needs. This microwave drawer is accessible, compact and stylish, making it a unique addition to your kitchen cabinet.
- Sleek yet stylish
- Easy to use
- High-quality build
- Quick installation
- Large interior capacity
2. ZLINE Built-In Microwave Drawer
- Space-Saving - Free up your countertop space with an undercounter modern design with installation location flexibility to best fit your lifestyle
- Top Access Design - Easily transport hot dishes and prevent spills with an accessible top-loading design
- Convenient Microwave Modes - Achieve optimal results for every dish with sensor cooking, defrost, popcorn, and beverage settings
- Auto-touch Open and Close - Effortlessly open and close the microwave drawer with just the touch of a button
- Intuitive Control Panel - Enjoy an easy-to-use control panel that provides maximum convenience with a 45 degree angled design
Next, we’ll review the ZLINE Microwave Drawer, which is another excellent option if you have limited cooking space. You can choose between a regular stainless steel finish or a black stainless steel finish to ensure you find something that matches your kitchen interior. With a capacity of 1.2 cubic feet, you can trust that this unit offers enough room to warm and defrost your food.
The LCD display is easy to use and features One-Touch cooking functions that you can choose for quick snacks. You won’t need to debate how much time you need to get your food ready since this drawer microwave has multiple cooking settings to meet your needs appropriately.
You can open and close the door manually, but you can use the One-Touch button for automated convenience if you are handling other tasks. This unit will give you more counter space for other appliances since it won’t need to sit on your kitchen counter. Plus, with 1,000 watts of cooking power, you can rest assured it can thoroughly cook or defrost any food.
- Easy to operate
- Two finishes available
- Multiple sensor cooking settings
- 1,000-watt cooking power
- Stylish look
- No safety features
3. Sharp Microwave Drawer
- Your purchase includes One Sharp 24 in. 1.2 cu. ft. 950W Stainless Steel Microwave Drawer, SMD2470ASY model. Flush mount kit sold separately
- Microwave dimensions: 23 7/8" x 15 7/8" x 23 1/64". Cut/out dimensions: 22 1/8" x 15 9/16" x 23 1/2". Product Weight: 74 lbs. Capacity: 1.2 Cu. Ft. (holds 9" x 13" dish)
- Easy Touch Automatic Drawer System Smoothly Opens and Enables Hands-Free Close
- Convenient Kitchen Placement Allows for Easier Cooking, Saves Prep and Clean up Time
- Concealed Control Panel Opens to an Easy-to-Read and Operate 45° Angle
The third best microwave drawer for your kitchen is this Sharp Microwave Drawer. It carries a cooking space of 1.2 cubic feet which is large enough to warm up four quarts of your casserole dish. This stainless steel drawer microwave is durable and packs 1,000W of power to handle all your cooking and defrosting needs.
The exterior design of this unit ensures it fits inconspicuously into your kitchen. It even features a hidden control panel that you can use to operate the machine without hassle. The hidden controls ensure your kids won’t unknowingly turn the microwave on or cause accidents.
While you can use your hands to open and close the drawer microwave, you don’t have to since there’s an automatic function for hands-free opening and closing. The interior light will ensure you can watch the progress of your food as you cook or defrost it. Unfortunately, the mounting kit that makes it easy to install this unit comes at an additional cost.
- 1.2 cu ft capacity
- Easy access to the unit
- Multiple power levels
- Hidden controls
- Durable build
- Easy to read digital displays
- Mounting hardware sold separately
4. Panasonic Microwave Oven
- Panasonic Microwave: This 1250 Watt high power, 1.6 cubic foot capacity stainless steel countertop/built in microwave delivers a seamless stream of cooking power for even cooking and delicious flavor
- Inverter Technology with Turbo Defrost: Patented Inverter Technology generates a seamless stream of power and delivers consistent, evenly prepared food without overcooking; Advanced Inverter Turbo Defrost speeds up defrosting time
- Compact Design: This countertop microwave with 15 inch turntable is thinner, lighter and more efficient, allowing you to devote less space to electronics and more to interior capacity; Dimensions: Interior HxWxD: 9 x 16.5 x 18.5 inches, Outside HxWxD: 12 x 21.9 x 19.4 inches
- Smart cooking settings with Genius sensor: Built-in automatic genius sensor adjusts power and times based on different foods; Other advantages include 14 Preset menu items, quick-minute timer, delay start and child safety lock
- Keep Warm Feature: This inverter microwave keeps soups, gravies or desserts warm and fresh until ready to serve. Function key is available
Unlike the other models in this post, the Panasonic Microwave Oven can work as a built-in oven and a countertop microwave. As such, it’s a versatile option that can meet your needs whether you want to conserve counter space or not. This unit is much larger than the other options, offering a cooking capacity of 1.6 cubic feet to fit large containers.
This microwave features Inverter Technology which delivers enough power to prepare your food without overcooking it. At the same time, it reduces defrosting time to ensure you can make your meals in minimum time. The innovative design of this unit ensures it’s a compact yet powerful appliance that can fit in various base cabinets.
The interior cooking sensors can automatically adjust the power and time to suit different foods, which is why it’s the best microwave drawer. Additionally, this drawer microwave features 14 menu presets to let you choose the ideal setting for various dishes without any confusion. The keep-warm function also allows you to maintain your soups, desserts, or gravies at the ideal temperature until you are ready to serve.
- Ideal for larger dishes
- 1250W cooking power
- Multiple cooking presets
- Faster cooking and defrosting
- Compact design
- Child lock function
- High price
5. Cosmo Built-In Microwave Drawer
- 1000 WATTS OF POWER: With 11 power levels, cook meals with precise control and delicious results
- CONVENIENT PRESETS: Four automatic cooking options, including melt, soften, popcorn and beverage
- SMART DEFROSTING: Effective defrosting with a weight or timed option. Defrosting rack included for added convenience
- 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Our customer support team is based proudly in the USA. Exterior Dimensions: 23.8" (W) x 24.5" (D) x 15" (H). Electrical Requirements: 120V/60Hz
Finally, we’ll review the Cosmo Built-In Drawer Microwave designed to save space in your kitchen while providing maximum cooking convenience. The package includes the microwave, installation kit, and user manuals to ensure you can set it up without difficulties. You won’t have to buy the necessary installation hardware separately when you buy this unit.
It offers 1000W of power and 11 different power levels to help you find the right setting for defrosting or warming your food. The interior capacity is 1.2 cubic feet which can accommodate 4 quarts of a casserole dish. You’ll find multiple presets for melting, softening, and thawing food for better satisfaction.
This microwave drawer is among the best options because it has a stainless steel finish that makes it fit into any kitchen. It also comes with child safety lock functions to prevent accidents if your kids access the microwave. You’ll get a limited 1-year warranty on parts, and the support team is available to help you solve any issues you encounter.
- Multiple cooking presets
- High cooking power
- Durable construction
- Child safety functions
- Easy to install and use
- Few customer reviews
What are the Best Microwave Drawers Better than Countertop Microwaves?
1. Save Precious Counter Space
Countertop models are large and require some space on the counter to store. Unfortunately, this can be problematic for small kitchens and homes with limited cabinet space. That’s why one innovative way to maximize on-counter space is installing microwave drawers.
After mounting a microwave drawer, you’ll have more interior space for other appliances and kitchen utilities. You’ll have better flexibility moving around the kitchen because of the additional space.
2. Easy to Clean
Some microwaves feature a rotating plate inside the cooking space. This plate turns the food around as it defrosts or cooks inside the microwave to ensure it cooks evenly.
Unlike traditional microwaves, drawer microwaves are smooth without any moving parts. As such, they don’t have hard-to-reach areas that can store dirt, so they are easy to clean. They require less effort to maintain, making them a durable option.
3. Improve Home’s Value
Since microwave drawers are permanently installed in the lower cabinet, they become a part of the home. Unless you plan to uninstall them, you could move out and leave them in the house. As a result, they add to the initial value of your house, allowing you to sell it at a higher price than you would have before.
On another note, these microwaves are great for your home’s interior design. They can make your kitchen look more modern, stylish, and convenient.
4. More Accessible
Microwave drawers are typically installed in lower cabinets to ensure they are within everyone’s reach. Unlike the countertop models, which sit on top of the counter where it can be hard to access, drawer microwaves are convenient to reach even for short people and kids.
Additionally, microwave drawers are safer to use because of their accessibility. This is because countertop microwaves sit higher than your waist level, making it hard to remove hot items without feeling unsafe. So, if you want a kitchen that’s less prone to accidents, you should get the best microwave drawers.
What are the Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Drawer Microwaves?
There are some vital factors to keep in mind when choosing a drawer microwave. Let’s discuss how to buy the best microwave drawer.
1. Cooking Power
The amount of power your microwave can give is written in wattage. A higher wattage reflects more cooking power translating to faster cooking and defrosting times. At the least, you can take a unit packing 800 watts since this could be enough for your standard microwave needs.
Ideally, you’ll want a unit with about 1000W because this is enough power to heat your food without waiting too long. However, if you want the least waiting time for cooking and defrosting meals, you can choose a unit with 1250 watts.
Something else to consider is the type of controls the unit features. Microwave drawers can come with various controls and settings. You’ll find a set of manual controls for cooking time which you can adjust via the control panel. Some panels are digital, allowing you to use touch to operate them, while others could have buttons which is the more traditional option.
Luckily, this post features units that have programmed settings that save you from the headache of setting the time manually. If you want maximum convenience, the best microwave drawers we’ll review will offer what you need.
It’s also important for your microwave drawer to match the general aesthetic of your home. If you buy a unit that doesn’t compliment your home, it can make it harder to sell the house if you decide to. Plus, it can make your home less appealing, welcoming, and elegant, which can be a disadvantage.
So, you should look for a microwave that adds harmony to your home. You can achieve this by selecting a color that resembles your kitchen wall, floor or ceiling. Alternatively, you can select a unit with a general color like black or silver since these can fit in diverse environments without hassle.
If the installation process is complicated, you’ll probably need a professional to help you mount your drawer microwave into the cabinet. This will come at your expense which will contribute to the higher cost of getting the microwave.
To avoid incurring extra costs, you should look for a package that features the installation kit. With the necessary hardware in hand, the only thing you’ll need is clear installation instructions. Nevertheless, if you don’t need to cut costs, you can get someone to install the unit for you.
5. Additional Features
There are some features that make drawer microwaves more efficient at home. One example is a child lock safety feature that can stop your kids from using the microwave unsupervised.
Since food gets hot inside the unit, you don’t want kids to take it out since this could have a high risk of burning accidents. Another feature you want is multiple cooking presets that allow you to conveniently operate your unit.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much do microwave drawers cost?
Microwave drawers range anywhere between $1000 and $3,500.
2. What’s the best microwave drawer on the market?
The Sharp KB-6524PS Microwave Drawer is the best drawer microwave we’ve reviewed.
3. Is it hard to install microwave drawers?
No, it’s not as long as you have the installation kit and instruction manual.