You may consider adding the best overhead garage storage if your garage needs a little extra space when your car is packed. It is one of the best and simple ways to add space and make the garage look more organized. With DIY garage ceiling storage, you have an alternative way of storing your items. You can also look at these tips to help organize your garage and keep it tidy.
What is an Overhead Garage Storage
A storage shelf known as overhead garage storage hangs from a garage’s ceiling and is typically supported by beams above the ceiling. They are regarded as effective storage options. This is particularly for those who want to make the most of their available space while still having a place to store their cars. The supports and the actual shelving can be made of metal or wood.
Whether you decide to construct your own or buy an already constructed storage system, the goal is to maximize storage space in your garage. However, with a custom-made system, you can determine the clearance and volume depending on your preference. On the other hand, buying one already made is less time-consuming.
Best Overhead Garage Storage
|1.||FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead garage storage rack|
|2.||Bora Wood Organizer and Lumber Storage|
|3.||Koova Overhead Bin Rack for Three Bins|
|4.||SafeRacks 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack-Heavy Duty|
|5.||Homydom Wood Organizer and Lumber Storage|
1. FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead garage storage rack
- Avoid water damage by storing your items off the garage floor. Protect your items and use garage ceiling space to store seasonal and unused…
- STRONG AND SECURE: Buy overhead storage racks with long ceiling brackets designed to be attached to 2 studs. Combined with 6 vertical posts,…
- HIGH QUALITY: Thicker M8 screws selected and all hardwares have gone through strict tests. Heavy duty cold-rolled steel construction…
- INTEGRATED GRID DESIGN: More stable and sturdy compared to others with separate frame and wire.
- DIY INSTALLATION: Installation template helps make plan. This overhead storage rack fits all ceiling joist spacing≤24″, if joist…
When you have many things to store and your garage space is limited, you can opt for an overhead garage storage rack. This is a great way to create more space and be more organized, as everything will go to its rightful position.
Adding a storage rack also ensures that you avoid water damage. So, instead of using cartons to store seasonal and used items, go for an overhead garage storage rack like this from Fleximounts.
Image source: Mark, Amazon.com
This rack offers up to 105 cubic feet of storage space, and I also realized that I could lower it up to 40 inches from the ceiling to get more space. It weighs 60 pounds and has a maximum weight capacity of 10 times its weight, which is 600 pounds. So, you can even use it to store your kayak if you have one.
Unlike most overhead garage storage racks with separate frames and wires, this Fleximounts rack has a welded wire grid. I couldn’t question its durability after seeing the high-quality eight-inch screws that hold its parts together. This
- Sufficient storage capacity
- Easy-to-follow instructions
- Made with durable materials
- Cumbersome to install
- No replacement parts
2. Bora Wood Organizer and Lumber Storage
- PERFECT FOR STORAGE: Store all your building supplies without taking up too much space in your garage, basement, shed or outdoor workspace….
- WALL MOUNTED: Our storage saver is easy to install on the walls of your garage or workshop to increase your storage space. Keep your…
- WEIGHT CAPACITY OF 600 LBS: Quality industrial storage equipment holds a significant amount of weight, which is why each shelf holds up to…
- 6 LEVELS OF STORAGE: Configure the PortaMate PBR-001 wood organizer to fit your storage needs. Use the first few tiers as a wood and pipe…
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION: Our lumber shelving is made from powder-coated 1-inch steel tubes making it extremely strong. Count on this to last…
With a maximum weight capacity of 600 pounds, this storage rack has been used in my garage to hold many items. It is suitable for storing lumber, sheet metal, PVC, ladders, pipes, and gutters, among many more.
It is made from powder-coated steel tubes that ensure it is strong enough. It has six shelves, which is six levels of storage space.
Image source: Gillian, Amazon.com
This Bora wood organizer is wall mounted and quite easy to install. The best thing is that I could easily customize this rack to fit in my space. So what excuse do you have now? Get yourself a storage rack to organize that garage.
The space between one shelf to another is ` about six inches, which is enough to store most items.
- Installation is easy
- Durable and strong
- It doesn’t come with mounting hardware
3. Koova Overhead Bin Rack for Three Bins
- OVERHEAD STORAGE: Our garage ceiling storage racks are made to get your totes off of the floor and safely stored. Each set includes 2…
- FLEXIBLE INSTALL: The garage racks are designed to be mounted parallel with or perpendicular to your ceiling joists so you can align and…
- UTILIZE WASTED SPACE: Even though the items in your storage bins are organized, the bins need to be stored in an organized way. From…
- HIGH QUALITY: Made to last a lifetime, our durable ceiling storage racks are made from heavy gauge powder coated steel. They can support up…
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Koova Ceiling Racks are engineered to last and let you store your storage bins. Made in the USA, we offer a lifetime…
Try this option if you need overhead storage to keep your assorted items safely in the garage. All sets of container racks include two mounting rails for installation to give you space.
The flexible installation choice makes you go with the style you want, which is either parallel or perpendicular to your ceiling joists. This made it easier for me during the alignment of the bins.
Image source: Loox.com
The garage temperatures are not always the best as they fluctuate. However, these ceiling storage racks are made to withstand all that. They are made with heavy gauge powder-coated steel.
The carrying capacity of these containers is only 40 pounds, so, although they perform, they couldn’t hold much weight. This means I could only use them to hold lighter items within the weight limit.
- It comes in sets of three or more
- Easy installation
- Compatible with most black and yellow bins
- Adjustable width
- Low maximum weight capacity
4. SafeRacks 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack-Heavy Duty
- Lifetime Warranty only available if purchased directly from Eagle Industrial Group or SafeRacks
- Industrial Strength with a Powder Coat Finish
- Holds 600 Pounds
- 2 Color Choices
- 3 Customizable Ceiling Drop-Downs Available
The SafeRacks 2 rack kit initially seems to be just another standard overhead garage storage rack. A closer examination reveals a minor but incredibly powerful change that vastly improves usage.
It has 18 accessory hooks in total, including ten deck hooks, four rail hooks, and four utility hooks, making it ideal for storing a full-size ladder and other goods like golf bags, backpacks, tents, and even mountain bikes. Remember that the platform’s already generous capacity is in addition to the space supplied by the accessory hooks (176 cu. ft.).
Image source: Southern, Amazon.com
As the name suggests, I received two overhead racks that are each 4′ X 8′ and have dropdown heights that range from 18′′ to 33′′. Rest assured, though, that SafeRacks also provides two more alternatives with adjustable lengths of 12 to 21 and 24 to 45 inches.
The racks and support arms are constructed from heavy-duty powder-coated industrial-grade steel for maximum durability and have a 600 lb. capacity.
- Easy to install with clear instructions
- Sturdy once installed
- It comes with 18 accessory hooks
- Height adjustable for increased space
- In case of a return, you have to pay a restocking fee
5. Homydom Wood Organizer and Lumber Storage
- WONDERFUL FOR STORAGE – High-impact STEEL storage racks are used to place long objects like lumber, pipes, gutters, or skis to create more…
- PREMIUM HEAVY DUTY MATERIAL – Made of heavy duty scratch resistant steel, each shelf holds up to 110 lbs, 330 lbs capacity overall. Easily…
- SPACE SAVING – Maximize your space and eliminate garage room clutter with this handy organizer. Utilize extra wall space in garage /…
- EASY INSTALLATION & CUSTOMIZE – Step-by-step instructions make it simple and easy for anyone to install in just minutes! Featuring 6…
- LIFETIME WARRANTY – We provide Standard mounting hardware to make installation as easy and convenient as possible, if you have any problem…
Create some extra space in your garage with this Homydom wood organizer. It is a wall mount made with high-impact steel that you can use to store long items like gutters, pipes, lumber, or even skis.
The racks are made of heavy-duty and scratch-resistant steel. This quality material ensures your shelf can hold enough weight, which is a total of 330 pounds, as each shelf holds 110 lbs.
Image source: Niklias, Amazon.com
Installing this storage organizer didn’t take me much time. The instructions are clear and I could easily follow them to set up the organizer. You can also customize the setup to fit your space. This is because it has six adjustable holes in the bar for easy placement of screws.
- Easy to install
- Made with heavy-duty material
- Sturdy construction
- Some mounting hardware is smaller than necessary
- Some holes are not drilled all the way through
Types of Overhead Garage Storage Systems
Overhead storage systems are different, so you can choose what you feel is best for you. In addition, the types vary depending on where they are installed. For example, some storage systems can be installed on the garage door, above the hood of your car, and others come in multiple units.
a) Overhead Garage Storage Systems
You frequently don’t use the area over your head in the garage. However, using overhead storage racks in this part of your garage will create a ton of floor space. You can even use the best waterproof storage containers to keep your items before arranging them on the overhead storage rack.
Image source: pinterest.com
Overhead storage racks are ideal for storing large things like patio furniture, storage bins, camping gear, and off-season car tires, or when you want to store a bike in the garage you can use them.
b) Slatwall Storage
Slatwall storage is one of the most efficient garage organization solutions available.
Image source: woodsmithplans.com
This technique uses robust PVC wall panels that may be safely mounted on concrete, drywall, and studs. The panels enhance the appearance of your garage significantly, are available in various colors, and are simple to clean.
c) Garage Storage Cabinets
Garage storage cabinets can elevate your garage’s interior beauty and use to a higher level than Slatwall panels alone. Slatwall panels can be used with a wide range of garage cabinet colors and custom options to enhance the design of your garage or even match the color of your vehicles.
Image source: californiaclosets.com
Large and small goods of all sizes can be kept in garage cabinets. Small tools should be kept in lockable drawers, cleaning solution bottles in upper or lower cabinets, and jackets or other bulkier goods in the locker-sized cabinets.
d) Car Lifts
Thanks to all of these garage storage solutions, your garage will have extra parking space. However, if you have a one-car garage, you won’t be able to fit two cars inside, not even with the floor cleaned, unless you install a four-post car lift.
Image source: CNET.com
Using 4 post-car lifts, you may double the parking space in your garage by utilizing the underutilized vertical area.
What to Consider When Selecting the Best Overhead Garage Storage
When selecting overhead garage storage racks, there are a few things you might want to consider. This ensures you get what is best for you and the most value for your money.
Your garage will stay organized with the help of an integrated grid design. Different people require different amounts of storage, and no two garages are the same size or proportion. Overhead storage units typically have dimensions between 4 ft. × 4 ft. and 4 ft. x 8 ft.
b) Placement and Setup
Survey the garage area before you begin looking at various products. Determine the layout you want, all the components you wish to include, and the location of the overhead storage system.
By doing so, you’ll be able to take measurements and be fully aware of the size and shape to seek for.
c) Storage Capacity
Make sure the storage system meets your demands by confirming its weight capacity. For example, you might need a reinforced storage system if you intend to store many big objects such as various tools, equipment, etc.
It makes no sense to invest in anything extremely strong if you intend to keep lightweight items unless you want the system to be future-proof. So please make sure you know the weight capacity of your garage ceiling.
They are designed to hold a variety of year-round articles or things you use or require less often. You can frequently utilize a ladder to access the shelves and objects.
A motorized storage system that can rise and lower the racks as needed should be considered if you want them to be easier to access.
Ensure that your storage system will fit in the area you have chosen. It should be simple to set up and fasten to the ceiling. You might not want to continue if there are wires or other obstructions. If you’re unsure how to manage the installation, think about hiring a pro.
Frequently Asked Questions On the Best Overhead Garage Storage
1. Can I use my garage attic for storage?
The garage attic is not an ideal storage area. A manufactured roof system known as a truss is designed to support the roof above and the ceiling below. If you use the attic for storage, the truss must be designed for the additional weight.
2. Is overhead storage safe?
What matters the most when dealing with overhead storage is the installation. As long as they are installed properly, the overhead garage storage is extremely safe. Before releasing a product on the market, the manufacturers always test their products to ensure they are safe. So, all you have to do is stay within the weight limit indicated by the manufacturer.
3. Do ceiling joists carry weight?
Joists are the horizontal members that span two walls and beams. They carry the weight of the walls, furniture, people, appliances, and everything you could think of. When you apply a load to a joist, the wood fibers along the bottom edge go into tension, and the ones along the top go into depression.
4. Does drilling holes in joists weaken them?
Avoid making drills or notches in a joist, as that will weaken them. If you have to make holes in a ceiling joist, the ideal way to do it is to involve an engineer.
5. How much weight can you hang from a garage joist?
In most garage trusses, the horizontal bottom cords are usually designed to carry the weight of drywall and insulation. So, a garage joist can carry about five pounds per square foot.