Storing your clothes well is a great way to stay organized and keep your space neat. You can use hangers and keep them in the best expandable closet organizer. However, if you prefer folding them, an ideal way is to use the best storage containers for clothes. This way, you can iron and fold them as they wait to be worn.
We tried some storage containers for clothes, and our feedback is in this article.
Best Storage Containers for Clothes
|1.||Lifewit Large Capacity Clothes Storage Bag|
|2.||IRIS USA 19Qt Plastic Storage Bin Tote|
|3.||Rubbermaid Commercial Products Brute Tote Storage|
|4.||Akro-Mils 12 Gallon Plastic Storage Cabinet|
|5.||Sorbus Storage Bins With Divided Interior|
1. Lifewit Large Capacity Clothes Storage Bag
- Reinforced Handle: The handle is sewn with two layers of thick fabric, and the load-bearing capacity is doubled. Reinforced seams are also…
- Large Capacity: Each storage bag measures 23.6 x 16.9 x 13.7 in / 60 x 43 x 35 cm, with capacity 90L. It is spacious for your comforters,…
- Premium Material: The organizer is made from high-quality, odorless, three-ply composite non-woven fabric which promotes ventilation and…
- Sturdy Zipper: Equipped with #5 stainless steel zippers which are hard to be broken, and can be used for a longer period of time. And…
- Versatility: The storage bag set can be used for closet or cloakroom, also a good choice for university dormitory, attic, bedroom use. They…
If you are looking for a large capacity storage container for your clothes, here is a good one. Lifewit storage containers are made of PVC and three-ply composite non-woven fabric.
The material promotes ventilation hence keeping your clothes fresh. In addition to that, it is lightweight and easy to carry. So you will not have to add the weight of the container to that of clothes.
Image Source: Mrs. C, Amazon.com
This PVC container measures 23.6 by 16.9 by 13.7 inches, with a capacity of 90litres. And the best thing is that they come in three packs, measuring the same size.
Due to the large storage capacity, we could fit our king-size comforter here, and it fits perfectly. Besides comforters, you can also use the bags to store clothes, pillows, and blankets.
The features that make it preferable include sturdy stainless zippers that cannot break easily. In addition, the zippers are two-way, which makes it easy for me to close easily, regardless of how full it is. Another feature is the reinforced handle sewn in with layers of thick fabric.
- Large storage capacity
- A two-way zipper provides a wide opening
- Sturdy and supportive reinforced handles
- Fold small and hold a lot
- It holds a lot, so it can be quite bulky
2. IRIS USA 19Qt Plastic Storage Bin Tote
- MADE IN USA QUALITY – IRIS USA’s pearlplastic Buckled Lidded Storage Bin Tote is a perfect storage organizer that can fit all your items…
- STYLISH AND DISCREET – The pearl design of our plastic storage bin tote with lid creates privacy. You as a user know exactly what is…
- STACK THEM UP – Plastic Storage Container Bin Tote has grooves on the lid and body to create a secure stacking experience. IRIS USA…
- BUCKLE UP – The storage Buckles latches onto the durable plastic lid, separating the inside and outside. Any valuables are safe from dust…
- PULL HANDLE – Built-in pull handle on bottom of the plastic container makes it easy to pull the plastic box container bin from any high…
IRIS plastic storage bins are among the best for storing clothes. They come in packs of four and six, so you can select what you prefer.
One thing about them is that they are stackable and nestable, making them occupy less space. In addition, the grooves on their bodies and lids create a secure stacking experience.
Image Source: Katie Mac, Amazon.com
IRIS makes heavy-duty storage, and the buckles latch on the durable plastic lids that separate the inside from the outside. So you can be sure that once you buckle it up safely, no dust or moisture will get in to ruin your clothes.
The pull-in handle at the bottom of this container is a lifesaver. I had a hard time the last time I used containers as they were slightly higher on higher shelves. However, with these, all I have to do is pull the handles at the bottom and access the container.
- Stackable hence occupies minimal space
- Pull handles make it possible to access the storage boxes from higher shelves
- Durable bins
- Available in different sizes
- Tight lock
- Weak latches
3. Rubbermaid Commercial Products Brute Tote Storage
- Heavy duty: Storage bin is a heavy duty storage container used for storing and transporting items
- Ergonomic handles: User friendly grip handles decrease potential for back injury and finger strain
- Handle drains: Holes in handle allow water to drain, reducing risk of bacteria build up
- Secure lid: Lid snaps tight, keeping contents secure within
- Ribbed construction: Reinforced ribbed bottom allows bin to be dragged without damage
While moving, I packed my clothes in these containers and didn’t regret it a bit. First, they are heavy-duty, so you will not worry about them breaking during loading and offloading.
Secondly, I recall how the movers liked lifting them due to their ergonomic handles. Their grip handles minimize the possibility of getting finger strain or potential back injuries.
Image Source: Wes C, Amazon.com
Also, if I stacked the plastic bins with too many clothes, they became heavy, but I could still drag them. This is because the containers feature reinforced ribbed bottom that lets you drag them without causing any damage. This is because the containers are made from high-density polyethylene resin plastic.
They are constructed so I could stack them to occupy less space in your closet storage. In addition, you wouldn’t want dust or moisture to get into the storage container, and to prevent this, they are made with secure lids that snap tight to keep your clothes safe.
- Heavy duty
- Suitable for commercial and home use
- Ergonomic handles
- Sturdy and stackable
- Smaller than you’d expect
- Slightly expensive
- The lid is hard to work with
4. Akro-Mils 12 Gallon Plastic Storage Cabinet
- STORAGE TOTE DIMENSIONS- Outside 21.5-Inch x 15.25-Inch x 12.5-Inch, Inside Top 19.75-Inch x 14.19-Inch x 12-Inch. Inside Width…
- DURABLE- A heavy-duty alternative to flimsy home store brands. Durable, stacking attached lid totes are made from industrial-grade plastic….
- GREAT FOR- Garage storage, attics or sheds; toys and sporting equipment; fishing, boating or camping supplies; dry pet food or bird seed;…
- EFFICIENT- Storage containers with lids will stack with lids closed and nest when lids are open, hinged lids won’t get lost. Clear box…
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA
The Akro-Mils KeepBox with an attached lid container is the most suitable bin for anyone who has trouble with tight lids. In addition, the lid is simpler to open than any other because there are no latches to keep its two halves together.
Anyone who frequently loses container lids will find the flip-top, commonly known as a butterfly lid, excellent because it is attached to the container. In addition, the container is stronger than transparent polypropylene since it is constructed of a mixture of HDPE and polypropylene.
Image Source: Danielle, Amazon.com
The lid is unsecured and may periodically fly open, which can be quite annoying. However, this also makes them easy to access, especially for people who dislike struggling to open them.
These bins contain eyelets at their connecting point that can precisely retain a zip tie, so those are what I used when storing my summer comforters during the winter season.
- Excellent size
- Lets water in; so not the best for protecting clothes against the elements
- Irritating odor
- The lid easily flies open
5. Sorbus Storage Bins With Divided Interior
- STORAGE ORGANIZER BOX SET (2-PACK, GRAY) — Pack, zip, and transport household essentials with this stackable storage bin set, featuring a…
- EASY ACCESS & DIVIDED INTERIOR — Front and top zipper opening makes it easy to store and remove contents — Divided interior helps…
- PORTABLE WITH LABEL HOLDER — Secure carry handles for easy transport — Allows quick packing/unpacking between seasons, traveling,…
- STACKABLE & FOLDABLE — Sturdy frame stacks above/beneath additional organizers — Collapses flat for easy storage when not in use —…
- CLEAR WINDOW DESIGN — Front transparent window helps view contents at glance — Zipper closure — Metal wire frame sustains shape —…
These stacking storage containers provide a brilliant solution to the all-too-common issue of requiring something from the bottommost bin. Thanks to the translucent plastic viewing panels thoughtfully built for dual access, you may easily unzip the front and retrieve what you need without unstacking.
An inside Velcro divider can be quickly removed to keep stacks organized and make room for larger goods. Clear plastic labels on the sides allow for angled identification.
Image Source: Adrian, amazon.com
Although they have a strong wire frame, which makes them tough, these storage bins are still simple to store flat. Another thing is that I found them simple to hold, thanks to reinforced cotton grips on either side.
- Easy-to-access interior
- Front transparent window for easy viewing of contents
- Stackable and foldable
- Clothes easily stick to the Velcro
- Some have a strong smell
- Slightly smaller than expected
What to Look for When Selecting the Best Storage Containers for Clothes
Every material has some benefits. For example, polypropylene may be manufactured transparent and is far more heat resistant than plastic, withstanding extremely high temperatures. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, polypropylene is safer than most plastics.
Image Source: lazadaphilippines.com
Compared to rigid, inexpensive polypropylene, low-density polyethylene is more flexible. As a result, it won’t break as easily if a loaded bin is dropped on the garage floor. Additionally, unlike polypropylene, it won’t crack under cold conditions.
b) Types of Lids
i) Latching Lids
If you overfill your container, a flip-up clasp will keep it closed, which is useful for storing items like puffy blankets and large sweaters. However, latches are prone to popping out of the mounting holes if you exert too much force on them. Additionally, those holes represent a point of entrance for moisture and pests.
ii) A Waterproof Seal
With one exception, all the lids we examined covered the edge of the bin, ensuring that rain won’t get insideif your goal is to protect your items from rain. Of course, a completely shut lid will keep out moisture, but if you store damp clothes, they will still grow mildew.
iii) Single Size Lids
It can be useful to have containers with the same-sized openings if you’re assembling a collection of storage containers. This typically means you can share lids between them and stack and nest containers of various sizes. A series of containers with a common lid and footprint size will often come in at least two sizes, with the height’s volume difference.
c) Stackable Designs
Almost any bin can be stacked on top of another, but some designs allow you to carefully combine small and large bins while still constructing a tower that won’t collapse.
d) Colored Vs. Clear
If you prefer arranging your containers with holiday themes, color-coordinating them might simplify life if you store many different seasonal products in one spot.Use red or green containers, for instance, for clothing associated with the holiday season and a different hue for everyday household items.
Image Source: pinterest.com
Clear plastic containers have the added advantage of allowing you to quickly identify the contents if you’re storing your clothing in a dim environment, like a self-storage unit. However, if you keep your items in a naturally lit space, take precautions to prevent them from fading.
Image Source: madeinchina.com
Direct sunlight can cause fading, so choose opaque plastic storage containers over translucent ones.
d) Go for Airtight Containers
Ensure your garments are adequately shielded from dampness, insects, and harsh light if you plan to store them for a long time.
Although they are inexpensive and relatively simple to find, plastic bags and cardboard boxes aren’t the best options for long-term clothing storage. Additionally, after repeated usage, plastic bags and cardboard boxes deteriorate, necessitating regular replacement.
e) Size and Weight
To maximize your storage space and ensure the storage bins are simple to transport, consider the size and weight of the bins you purchase. The ideal storage containers should be big enough to hold all the goods you want to put away while also being light and easy to move when you need to get to them or transfer them.
Tips for Keeping Clothes in Storage Containers
You may want a container for short-term or long-term storage. Either way, the goal is to keep your clothes neat and well folded. So, here are a few tips for storing clothes.
a) Clean Them
You must ensure you clean all the clothing you intend to store before packing them, as their longevity depends on this. For example, you can check out the best way to wash microfiber towels to ensure you store well-cleaned items. Unwashed clothing can grow mold and mildew and, if kept for a long time, start to smell.
Additionally, your clothing may become yellow if residual fragrances, lotions, oils, or sweat sit in the fabric. So, ensure you clean them well by getting wax out of fabrics as well as other forms of dirt.
b) Get Rid of Unwanted Clothes
It would be best if you looked through your closet as you prepare to pack and determine what clothes you want to keep and what to donate. Anything you haven’t worn in the last eight months could be set aside.
c) Avoid Vacuum Packing
Vacuum packing can save a lot of space; however, it can seriously damage your garments, so long-term clothing packing in this manner may cause creases and wrinkles to persist.
Natural fibers require a free flow of air therefore, squeezing all the air out of them will hasten the deterioration of your clothing. Instead, lightly load your stuff into bins, placing the heavier ones on the bottom.
d) Store in a Dry and Dark Place
Clothing should be kept in a cool, dry, and dark place. If the surroundings are bright,the UV rays may fade your clothes.
Storing clothes in the attic or garage may damage them due to sudden temperature changes. A storage container with climate control will be your best choice. After all, it can give you the ideal atmosphere for long-term clothes storage because it maintains constant humidity and temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Storage Containers for Clothes
1. Is it okay to store clothes in plastic containers?
Plastic containers provide practical and convenient storage, making them the best. They are also easy to handle, stack well, and are great at keeping bugs, dust, and moisture out.
2. Why do clothes smell after storage?
If you keep extra clothes in a container that does not have enough air circulation, they are likely to start smelling.
3. How can you keep clothes fresh in a storage box?
You can keep your clothes fresh while in storage by doing the following;
- Buy a dehumidifier
- Pack with dryer sheets
- Include perfumed tissue papers
- Store with baking soda
- Get a climate-controlled storage unit
- You can use essential oils