Viennetta is a brand of ice cream cake known as a kind of family dessert. It is a branch of Unilever and its ice cream is sold under other various brands all over the world.
The initial Viennetta is made up of many waved layers of ice cream intertwined with thin chocolate layers. Currently, it has been available in various flavors, including original ones like Mint and Vanilla, and Strawberry.
Viennetta Ice Cream Cake Market
Viennetta ice cream was initially introduced as a sweet multi-portion dessert.
The first success was achieved after the cake was introduced in KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants. This move caused Unilever conglomerate, the owner of Wall’s, to produce a variety of flavours and sizes.
The first launch of Viennetta to the markets in the US and Canada was in the 1980s through the Breyers ice cream.
Unilever stopped selling the product in the mid 1990s, but now came back to the United States in early 2021 through the Good Humor brand.
Viennetta ice cream cake is no longer sold in Canada.
Viennetta ice cream keeps producing in Australia and New Zealand through Streets, a branch of Unilever.
This cream is available in all Italian supermarkets. It is also available in Israel, Germany, Greece, and Austria under another name – Fantasia.
Viennetta multi portion dessert appears in Japan under the Morinaga & Company brand. It appears in Finn supermarkets by Ingman and keeps selling in Indonesia from the 1990s to the 2000s and came back in April 2020, after an appeal signed by nearly 75.000 citizens wanted Viennetta’s return to Indonesia.
In the Thailand market, the cake was available early in the 1990s and returned in the late 2020. Viennetta was formerly called Comtessa in Spain owing to a legal issue, but got the name again Viennetta in the 1990s.
Viennetta Ice Cream Cake Review
After being stopped selling for nearly 30 years, the Vanilla Vienetta has come back to American convenience stores by Good Humor.
In the 1990s, you probably could not enjoy a Murphy Brown episode without watching a TV advertisement containing a luxury dinner party with a Breyer’s Viennetta ice cream served in a fancy crystal champagne coupe. At that time, it was considered a classy sweet dessert for meals.
Anyone who has ever eaten Viennetta ice cream or just watched it on TV advertisements, it would be so exciting to open the Good Humor box. To most American people, it is not just an ice cream cake.
The high-end dessert only appeared in the US about 30 years ago. It looks like a time machine. And you can go back and enjoy the old taste of the past.
When you buy the Viennetta for the first time, the high-end dessert may be smaller than you imagine. Totally, it is seven inches in length, three inches in width, and roughly three inches in height.
You should especially notice that as it is carried in a big box, it would be tossed around a little bit.
When you open the box, the cake still seems very freaking fancy. The appearance is rather unsimilar compared with other ice cream desserts.
It is quite easy to cut the cake into several slices. Depending on the recommended serving size, it should be divided into six smaller pieces.
Unlike many other ice cream desserts, the Viennetta features a quite unique texture. The initial taste is a bit weird. Yet, by virtue of the cool layered waves, the Viennetta offers a quite enjoyable lightness.
You may feel better and better as you get used to it. The more you eat it, the more you may like it. If you eat a lot of the cake, it is good that you are unlikely to feel uncomfortable.
Another factor that makes the Viennetta successful is thin chocolate layers. They taste so fluffy and yummy.
With every bite, chocolate is smoothly spread out in the mouthfeel. They are added with the vanilla flavor to create a classic taste.
Viennetta ice cream cake looks so great. But it is not the elegant serving anymore like the old advertisements have ever made. It is now just an ice cream dessert that you can get in local convenience stores.
It is nice after all. Delicious cool treats should not be served for certain people. Viennetta ice cream desserts should be supplied at all types of parties. You also can eat it all by yourself any time you want.
Viennetta Ice Cream Cake Recipe
If you cannot wait to buy a Viennetta ice cream cake, here is a recipe for you to make.
- 350ml full cream milk
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 400ml heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250g dark chocolate, brake it into smaller pieces
- 50g coconut-based oil
- 45g toasted hazelnuts
The cooking process:
- Heat full cream milk, granulated sugar and salt in a saucepan. Scrape seeds from a bean into the milk. Cover, then remove it from the gas stove, and leave it to stay for an hour.
- Put a 2 litres bowl in a bigger bowl that is filled with ice. Place a strainer covering the top of the smaller one and pour the double cream into it.
- In another bowl, whisk 4 egg yolks evenly. Reheat the milk, put it into the stirring yolks, stirring constantly until mixed. Pour the heated yolks and milk back into the saucepan. Heat with a low temperature and whisk constantly.
- Gradually strain the custard into the cream added with vanilla extract and whisk until cool. Cover it and then freeze it for about 2 or 3 hours to chill completely.
- Put 200g dark chocolate and 50g coconut oil into a bowl, place it in the microwave, and then heat for 30 seconds until melted thoroughly and stir to combine.
- When the ice cream churns and the chocolate mixture cools down. Get ready to make the first layer of ice cream and chocolate in the loaf tin, and then put it into the refrigerator.
- Take the loaf tin from the refrigerator and repeat until there are three chocolate layers with four ice cream layers. Transfer the cake to the freezer and wait overnight. Put the remaining chocolate into another bowl, cover and put in the fridge.
- Heat the remaining chocolate, stir until it is smooth. Spread evenly on the plate and put it back in the fridge. Leave until solid and break into shards. When Viennetta is ready to serve, put the chocolate shards on the top of it.
Viennetta ice cream cake is originally a high-end dessert, which is now a popular treat for everyone to enjoy at any party or meal.
Unilever had stopped selling the cake in the US, but the Viennetta still came back under the Good Humor brand with original and new flavours. This ice cream cake is available in American store, still you can make it by yourself with the aforementioned recipe.