Storage units are great for storing valuables and reducing clutter in your home. That said, you will require to invest in a solid lock to keep the items safe. We recommend investing in locks that are cleverly designed for indoor and outdoor use. So, for the best locks for storage units, read through our list to find the ideal one for you.
Why Would You Need Locks for a Storage Facility?
A good lock can be the difference between an uninvited guest breaking into your storage unit and a storage unit that remains untouched for a long period. Besides, solid storage locks are an effective deterrent because most burglars are unwilling to spend the time and effort necessary to break the lock, but sometimes a security seal will do the trick.
On the other hand, a cheap lock will do little to prevent burglaries in your storage unit. So now that we know why investing in the best locks for storage units is important; let’s check out the best models.
|Rank||Product Image||Brand Name||Link|
BRINKS Stainless Steel Combination Discus Padlock, 173-80051
1. Puroma Combination Lock 4 Digit Waterproof Padlock, 2 Pack
Puroma 2 Pack Combination Lock 4 Digit Outdoor Waterproof Padlock for…
- Special Design: Compact size, light weight, and convenient for you to store and carry. Side windows for easy combination viewing.
- High security : 4-digit offers 10, 000 combinations for added security compared with 3-digit. Set your mind at rest while doing your sports…
- Resettable: Numeric combination design makes it easy to set and reset your own preferred combination and hassle-free to carry the key.
- Widely use: Suitable for school gym locker, sports locker, fence, toolbox, case, hasp storage and etc.
- Package Content: The package comes with 2 packs of zinc alloy 4-digit resettable BLACK combination locker locks. Ideal gift to your friends,…
If you prefer buying a pair of storage unit locks, we recommend the Puroma Combination Digital Waterproof Padlock. The padlocks come into two, four-digit locks with 10,000 possible combinations each. Besides, the numeric combination made it easy for me to customize my favorite PIN and do away with keys.
Image Source: yourhomesecuritywatch.com
Additionally, the padlocks have side windows that allow me to view them easily when configuring them. These are the easiest padlocks that I have ever used so far. On the other hand, the padlocks are made of zinc alloys, making them durable.
The padlocks’ shackle is 0.25 inches in diameter and is suitable for gym lockers, school lockers, toolboxes, and hasp storage.
- Compact and easy-to-carry design
- The digit locks come with 10,000 possible combinations each
- Features side windows for configuration
- Made of zinc and alloy, making them durable
- They have small tooth engagement
2. Master Lock Covered Aluminum Padlock, 141DLF.
Master Lock 141DLF Covered Aluminum Padlock with Key, Black
- Indoor and outdoor padlock with key is best used as a shed lock, gate lock, and storage locker lock, providing protection and security from…
- Key lock is constructed with a black vinyl-covered aluminum body for scratch and corrosion resistance, hardened steel shackle for cut…
- Four-pin cylinder and dual locking lever mechanism for pick and pry resistance
- 1-9/16 in. (40 mm) wide lock body; 1/4 in. (6 mm) diameter shackle with 1-1/2 in. (38 mm) length, 13/16 in. (21 mm) width for application…
- Includes one padlock, two keys (matching color key head for added convenience)
If you want one of the best locks for storage units that you can conveniently use on indoor or outdoor storage units, count on the Master Lock 141DLF. The padlock is made of corrosion- and scratch-resistance vinyl-covered aluminum body and hardened steel shackle for cut resistance.
Image Source: marieclaire.fr
Besides, the shackle’s diameter is 0.25in, making it ideal for most locking holes. And for more convenience, the padlock comes with two matching color keys. Moreover, the four-pin cylinder usually prevents prying, while the two locking levers prevent hammering.
I bought these two padlocks a few years ago for my outdoor storage unit, and they are still strong. The padlocks still look good as new, with no rust.
- Corrosion- and scratch-resistance padlock
- Sturdy and durable
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor storage units
- Lightweight and compact design
- Features a four-pin cylinder locks
- It might be hard to open at times
3. Master Lock Stainless Steel Discus Padlock, 0D
Master Lock 40D Stainless Steel Discus Padlock with Key
- For indoor and outdoor use; disc lock is best used as a storage lock and for garages, sheds, and trailers
- Lock features stainless steel construction and hardened steel shackle for increased strength and security
- 4-pin cylinder and dual locking lever mechanism provides pick and pry resistance, shrouded design minimizes shackle exposure and protects…
- 2-3/4 in. wide lock body; 3/8 in. diameter shackle with 5/8 in. length, 3/4 in. width
- One padlock, two keys
This disc padlock from Master Lock is another model you can count on for indoor and outdoor storage units. The Master Lock Stainless Steel Discus Padlock provides a high degree of security at a very affordable cost. In addition, it has a ⅜-inch hardened steel shackle and a stainless steel body, making it ideal for a garage where you store items such as tires, paints, tools, etc.
Image Source: capstansecurity.org.uk
Furthermore, the ⅞-inch-diameter opening between the lock body and the shackle is big enough to accommodate most hasps without leaving extra space for prybar attacks. Also, the keyed lock has a 4-pin cylinder and dual locking lever mechanism that prevents lockpicking, making it difficult to cut the padlock with bolt cutters.
The storage unit lock comes with two keys. And because of the disc-shaped construction, most of the shackle is protected by the lock’s body. I use the Master Lock Stainless Steel Discus Padlock, 40D, in my garage, where I store my bike.
- Affordable price tag
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor storage units
- Features shrouded design to resist prying and bolt cutters
- The disc padlock is made of stainless steel alloy for durability
- The locking cylinder uses 4 pins only.
4. ABUS Diskus Stainless Steel Padlock, 20/70
ABUS 20/70 Diskus Stainless Steel Padlock with 3/8″ Shackle, Keyed…
- Stainless Steel Padlock: This stainless steel disc lock offers 360 degree all round protection, effectively combatting the most common ways…
- Hardened Steel Protection: This padlock features an ABUS Plus disk cylinder for the highest protection against manipulation, designed to…
- Padlocks for Any Application: Discover the variety of our padlocks, from OSHA approved safety locks to heavy duty Granit padlocks and disc…
- The World’s Leading Security Manufacturer: We offer a comprehensive line of home, commercial security and worker safety products including…
- Synonymous with Security: When it comes to protecting lives and valuables, ABUS provides security solutions that help you feel safe and…
ABUS Diskus 20/70 is made of hardened steel and features an anti-cut plate that thieves cannot easily slash through. Besides, the disc lock is resistant to lockpicking and drilling. Also, the shackle has a small opening, which is far more difficult to tamper with than regular padlocks.
Image Source: mobil.abus.com
Furthermore, the ⅜-inch shackle is effectively secured from pry bars due to its disc cylinder design, which forms a tight fit around the hasp. And since an extended shroud conceals most of the hasp, accessing the lock with a bolt cutter is extremely difficult. On the other hand, getting replacement keys took me forever since they had to be shipped from Germany.
- Disc design is resistant to lockpicking and drilling
- It comes with a hardened steel bolt and stainless steel body for additional durability
- Features an anti-cut plate that thieves cannot easily slash through it
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor storage units
- It’s hard to get replacement keys.
5. BRINKS Stainless Steel Combination Discus Padlock, 173-80051
BRINKS 173-80051 Stainless Steel Resettable Combination Discus…
- Stainless steel lock body
- Stainless steel shackle
- Round Shielded design minimizes shackle exposure
- 4 pin, pick resistant cylinder
- Perfect for storage sheds
Brinks Discus Padlock, 173-80051, is one of the best locks for storage units for those who are fond of losing their keys. This padlock model provides high-level security as disc locks with a four-digit combination. In addition, I love that the padlock allows you to configure the combination, reducing the chances of forgetting the combination, unlike other combination design locks I have used before.
Image Source: congo.desertcart.com
On the other hand, the disc shape has an extended shroud that usually prevents prying and bolt cutters. And its ⅜-inch hardened steel shackle matches those on keyed disc locks. Furthermore, the padlock is ideal for outdoor use due to its corrosion-resistant stainless steel body.
- Ideal for outdoor use due to its corrosion-resistant stainless steel body
- The padlock offers maximum security
- You can configure your combinations
- Weatherproof storage lock
- Must precisely align the digits to open
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Locks for Storage Units
1. Types Of Locks for Storage Units
i). Key access padlocks
Key access padlocks feature chambers that connect to a rectangular or circular locking mechanism. To unlock the lock, insert the key into the chamber and turn it clockwise. These are inexpensive and simple to activate.
ii). Key access disc locks
These locks are more resistant to breaches from strikes, drilling, and lock picking than other locks. Besides, the little U-shaped shackle makes it hard for unwelcome intruders to get access.
iii). Key or dial chain locks
Key or dial chain locks are lengthy chain and locking mechanisms that you can open using a key or dial combination. They are most effective for bike protection but inefficient for storage units.
iv). Cylinder lock
This lock type is commonly found on doors.
v). Combination and dial locks
These locks don’t require a key. Instead, to unlock the gadget, you dial the number combination or press a code on the pad.
vi). Bluetooth locks
These locks can be operated remotely using smartphones or other compatible devices. Besides, you can monitor them at any time and from any location.
2. Size & Material
Before buying the best locks for storage units, consider the size and material of the unit. Virtually all locks have a shackle that fits into the hasp or latches storage unit door. Besides, the shackle should fit as firmly as possible to the hasp, leaving no space for an uninvited guest to insert a pry bar between the shackle and hasp. Most storage unit hasps usually require a ⅜-inch diameter shackle with a ⅞-inch opening.
Image Source: storagecafe.com
Furthermore, you need to consider the lock body. Most secure locks are made of hardened steel that is sturdy and corrosion-resistant.
The locking mechanism for key locks usually uses a set of four pins to hold the shackle inside the body. When you insert a key, these pins are moved out of the way, allowing the lock to open. Some premium padlocks use five pins, which adds another level of protection.
3. Exposed Shackle vs. Shrouded Shackle
Padlocks and disc locks are available in exposed or shrouded shackle models. A shrouded lock has a body that wraps around the shackle more than a regular padlock. This covering usually makes it more difficult for an uninvited guest to access the shackle with a bolt cutter or pry bar. That makes a shrouded shackle more secure than an exposed shackle lock. However, shrouded padlocks are more costly than regular padlocks with exposed shackles.
4. Level of Security
When looking for the best locks for storage units, pay attention to the amount of protection you need depending on the location of your storage unit. For example, a basic padlock is enough for a storage facility in a low-crime area or a bigger structure with CCTV cameras. On the other hand, storage units in high-crime areas may need a disc lock padlock to offer better security.
5. Ease of Use
Not all locks are made equal, so before you buy one, be sure it’s easy to use. Some models may require you to spend hours figuring out how they function, while others are easy enough for even beginners to use.
6. Quality of the Lock
If your storage lock is exposed to weather elements, you need to pay attention to the lock’s quality. A high-quality lock is corrosion-resistant, and the locking mechanism won’t be affected. Otherwise, when a low-quality lock is exposed to weather elements for a long period, it rusts, and the key might no longer work.
7. Smart Features
Some lock comes with additional features such as smart-key technology, which is handy for those who are fond of losing their keys or want to minimize the load on their keychain.
A smart key usually allows you to customize the pins in the padlock’s cylinder to match the key to your home, reducing the chances of locking yourself out of the storage unit. However, you must have the same padlock brand on your home and lock to use this feature.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Lock for Storage Units
1. Can I secure my storage unit with a regular padlock?
Yes, you can use a regular lock. However, we recommend buying a stronger lock with a solid shackle and enhanced security features.
2. What is the meaning of a yellow lock on a storage unit?
A yellow lock usually indicates that a storage unit is available for rental. Storage unit businesses will install a red lock on a storage unit with delinquent rental money, restricting the tenant from accessing their valuables until the overdue rent is fully paid.
3. What type of padlock should you use on a storage unit?
The lock to use depends on the locking system on the storage unit. For example, if the storage unit has a cylinder lock, you will need to buy the cylinder from the storage facility. On the other hand, if the lock has a hasp, you will need a regular lock or a disc lock with a shackle that fits the hasp.