Purchasing a water filter pitcher for healthy and great tasting water is a great affordable alternative to getting a filtration system for your home. Water filter pitchers work by using filter cartridges of an activated carbon filter to block any contaminants flowing in your tap water. When you pour the water into the water pitcher, it enters the filter first to remove impurities, then slowly drains the water into the water container. When you pour the water into a glass, a bypass system allows the water to exit the water pitcher without passing through the filters again.
Below we have compiled a list of some of the best water filter pitchers on the market with their reviews and a buying guide to help you make an informed decision. These are the best models of water pitchers you will find in the market in 2021.
1. ZeroWater ZP 010
- Filtered Water Pitcher: The 10 Cup 5-stage Water Filtration Pitcher suits your active lifestyle, with its space-saving design it is perfect fit for compact or small refrigerators
- 5-Stage Filtration: Removes virtually all total dissolved solids (TDS) for the purest tasting water; Total Dissolved Solids are organic and inorganic materials, such as metals, minerals, salts, and ions dissolved in water
- NSF certified and BPA free: The Only Pour Through Filter Certified by NSF to Reduce Lead, Chromium and PFOA/PFOS; All material is BPA free
- Including: 10-cup Water Pitcher, 1 ZeroWater 5-Stage Filter with Ion Exchange Technology and a Free TDS Meter
- Eco-Friendly: Save up to 150 single-use plastic bottles per filter or up to 900 bottles a year while enjoying the purest tasting water
Zero ZP 010 is a small-sized water filter that removes 99% of water contaminants such as chromium or lead from tap water and serves a family of two to four members. This water pitcher features a five-stage filter that removes contaminants from heavy metals, herbicides, dust, algae, chlorine, pesticides, and mercury. It also comes with a TDS meter attached to its lid that measures and compares the water before and after filtration. And this helps you to gauge when to replace your filter.
Zero ZP 010 holds up to 10 cups of water and is made of a plain smooth pattern made of BPA-free materials. However, the design can work to a disadvantage because the upper reservoir measures a quarter size of the lower or needs several refilling rounds to have a full pitcher. Also, while removing contaminants, the ZeroWater pitcher can strip total dissolved solids TDS that give water its natural sweetness, and thus your drinking water might have a slightly sour taste.
- ZeroWater is quite affordable.
- Includes a TDS meter
- The material is BPA-free.
- NSF certified to remove lead and chromium
- Reduces TDS
- Some users say the water tastes acidic.
- Repeated refilling might be tiresome for some users.
2. Brita Everyday Water Pitcher
- The BPA-free Everyday water pitcher with filter holds 10 cups of water, enough to fill 3 24-ounce reusable water bottles; Product reservoir and lid may vary
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles* a year; *16.9 oz water;**Based on IRI data;***vs. tap
- This space efficient Brita pitcher fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves, features an easy-fill locking lid and is easy to pour; Height 10.47"; Width 5.59"; Length/Depth 10.94"; Weight 2.29 pounds
- Brita is the #1 water filter** reducing chlorine (taste & odor), Mercury, Copper, Zinc and Cadmium; always get cleaner***
- Compatible with Longlast and Standard water filters; for the freshest tasting water, replace your Longlast filter after 120 gallons or approximately every 6 months or Standard filter after 40 gallons or approximately every 2 months
Brita is one of the most popular water pitchers on the market producing several filters and pitchers. Brita Everyday Pitcher can hold up to 10 water cups and is made of BPA-free plastic, which has n ergonomic handle and an easy fill locking lid. It can fit in the fridge, saving space and using the Longlast filters, which last up to 6 months, but you can also get the standard one.
The Brita pitcher has an extended last filter certified with NSF/ANSI 42,53 and 401, and the filter is responsible for getting rid of up to 99% of chlorine, mercury, lead, etc. A downside is the filter indicator is a sticker, unlike the button-operated, but it helps you track your filter lifespan. Also, this filtered water system has an open design that has a pouring spout with no lid.
- It has a simple design
- Space efficient
- 10 cup pitcher
- It has an affordable price filter
- It comes with a long last filter and different filter options
- Fast filtration
- It lasts a long time of up to 6 months
- The indicator of the filter is a sticker
- No flap on the open design
3. Clearly Filtered Water Filter Pitcher
- Advanced Affinity Filtration Technology - Targets and removes up to 99.9% of 365+ contaminants from tap water, including fluoride, lead, BPA, PFAS / PFOA, HAA5, arsenic, and perchlorate. Plus, our intelligent technology does not target beneficial minerals—so you can trust every drop.
- Made With Medical-Grade Materials - Built with 100% BPA & BPS-free medical-grade Tritan materials, so the pitcher never leaches chemicals, emits odors, or disrupts taste like ordinary plastics and materials.
- Eco-friendly - The vast majority of single-use plastic water bottles end up in landfills and oceans. Not only is this pitcher better for the environment, it produces cleaner water than bottled water. Upgrade now to drink safely and sustainably.
- Tested To NSF / ANSI Standards - Independently tested to NSF (42, 53, 401, and 473) and EPA standards whenever the standards are applicable by accredited labs so you never have to wonder what’s in your water.
- Peace of Mind - Smarter, stronger, and more efficient than standard filtration technology and wasteful reverse osmosis systems. 10-cup capacity holds 80 ounces of water, extended 100-gallon filter life minimizes maintenance, and every purchase is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
Clearly-Filtered is a unique system that does it all, from removing pesticides, PFAS, PFOA, fluoride to removing microplastics in your drinking water. It comes with a large tank that helps you refill less often because it is around 0.5 gallons, and all the parts of the pitcher filters have undergone testing to give you peace of mind. Also, water filters do not deprive you of valuable nutrients and can last for about four months before they need you to replace them, and this makes it worth it.
Assembling the water filter pitcher is relatively quick and easy because the instructions are clear, and also, the replacement filters are easy to replace. Additionally, it has a selective permeability feature that chooses what elements remain in your water, and as a result, you get to enjoy the natural water taste. Suppose your pitcher breaks within the warranty period. In that case, the manufacturer offers you a free replacement, and this goes to show the confidence the manufacturer has in his product, the pitcher, and the quality of the water.
- Removes up to 98% of fluoride
- It has a selective permeability feature.
- NSF certified
- BPA-free parts
- It has a very powerful filtration as it can get rid of the majority of the contaminants.
- The tank size can hold plenty of water.
- It packs a warranty and a money guarantee back option.
- It does not have a filter life indicator to remind you of when to change the water filters.
- The filtering speed is slow in comparison to other water pitchers.
4. PUR CR1100CV Classic Water Filter Pitcher
- WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Quickly and easily enjoy refreshing, filtered water in your fridge with the PUR 11 Cup Water Filtration Pitcher. With the help of PUR, you can enjoy great-tasting drinking water.
- REDUCES CONTAMINANTS – PUR Pitcher Filtration System contains PUR filter PPF900Z, which is certified to reduce 2X more contaminants than Brita’s leading pitcher filter.
- EASY TO USE – This water filter pitcher filters twice as fast and is dishwasher safe. The LockFit Design offers a secure filter fit while the stay-tight lid prevents spills and allows you to pour while water is still filtering.It features a Filter Change Light that indicates filter status and a space-saving design that fits in most fridge doors.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE – Genuine PUR pitcher filters are certified to reduce harmful contaminants from your water.ƚ Genuine PUR Filters are the only filters certified for use in PUR systems.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST – Contaminants can enter your water system daily, so filtering your water is important. PUR has been developing innovative technologies for superior water filtration for over 30 years.
PUR Classic water filter is an 11 cup capacity holder that comes at an affordable price while using ecofriendly materials. This water filtration system uses food-gated components that are safe to use for your home and can be washed plenty of times, making them environmentally friendly for use as bottled water. It uses filter cartridges that remove most contaminants in your home water using a 3stage filtration technology.
With a low filtering capacity of 40 gallons, you must change the filters every 6weeks depending on the water consumption in your home. The pitcher filters have a maximum capacity of 0.68 gallons, and therefore you may need to refill the pitcher several times a day depending on how many people are in your home. To sum it up, the filters are ergonomic, and thus you can store and handle the Pur ultimate pitcher easily.
- Made of BPA-free plastic
- It comes with efficient filters.
- This PUR produces filtered water free of pharmaceuticals and mercury.
- Uses filter cartridges that remove the majority of contaminants in your home water
- The filtering is slow.
- The PUR tap water filter pitcher only softens water to a small degree.
5. Waterdrop Chubby 10-cup Water Filter Pitcher
- [Natural wood, Fashion choice]: The natural wood handle of the water filter pitcher meets the ergonomics design and is comfortable to take. It looks fabulous when put anywhere at home. 3-pack replacement filters are available for purchase! (search: WD-PF-01A Plus).
- [NSF certified filtration performance]: This Waterdrop pitcher has passed NSF42 & 372 certifications. Based on testing by a third-party laboratory, it can reduce PFOA/PFOS, chlorine, odor, iron, and metal ions like mercury, copper, and other substances.
- [5x longer lifespan]: The filter water pitcher has a filter lifespan of up to 200 gallons or 3 months. You can purify your drinking water for a longer time. The flow rate helps increase filtration efficiency and faster delivery of clean drinking water.
- [Gravity induction indicator]: The inbuilt indicator in the water filter pitcher lets you know when it’s time to replace the filter. It DOES NOT lower TDS value. If you prefer low TDS value, please choose TDS Reduction Pitcher. (search: B0CDC5L13C)
- [Innovative Design]: The compact design fits most fridge doors, and the spout lid prevents dust from entering the pitcher. Refilling the Waterdrop pitcher is effortless; you don't even need to remove the lid.
Waterdrop Chubby water filtration pitcher possesses a high absorption capacity of up to 10 times more than other filtration systems in its level. It features an ergonomic handle and a slim design, and also, you don’t need to remove the cover of the lid to pour water as it has a small touch-free sprout lid door where water is poured through. It comes with an LED indicator that alerts you of the filter status, the status being when the filter is blue, your filter is functioning as it is supposed to and does not need any attention or replacement. However, when it’s blinking red, it needs replacing, and when it’s red always means that the filter life has expired.
Waterdrop water filter pitcher can be maintained easily by disassembling and washing by hand. Still, it’s essential to first soak it in cold water for a minimum of 10 minutes the first time you use the filter system. You can order the manufacturer’s replacement filters as it comes with only one filter, which is very impressive, lasting you around 200 gallons of water. This unit does not have a rubber silicone base like some other water treatment units that prevent any slipping from taking place.
- It uses an advanced filtration technology of 7 stages that eliminates the heavy metals in our water.
- Adequate capacity as every filter can be used with up to 200 gallons of water and fills up to 10 cups, the average being seven.
- Ergonomic design as the handle is wooden and allows you to carry the pitcher even when it is full easily.
- It has a slim design that allows you to place the pitcher on the fridge door.
- Eco friendly as the pitcher is made of a BPA-free plastic design.
- LED indicator
- Only removes inorganic fluoride from your drinking water, and you need to use activated charcoal to get rid of the organic fluoride.
- Does not remove TDS
- The base is not silicone ribbed.
- It does not come with a replacement filter as it comes with only one filter.
What to Consider When Shopping for the Best Water Filter Pitcher
For you to find the best water filter pitchers, there are some things that you need to keep in mind when searching, and they include:
1. Target Contaminants
Before you decide to purchase a water pitcher, you should know what contaminants are in your tap water to buy an ideal water filter for your tap water. Additionally, ensure you confirm whether the filter quality can eliminate heavy metals, make sure it is NSF certified or up to the ANSI standards, and if the manufacturer is a Water Quality Association member. Sometimes it is hard to get water filter pitchers with these certifications as most of them are design to improve the aesthetics of drinking water, such as the taste and odor.
2. Filter Life
Any filter’s lifespan is determined by the level of contamination and the amount of water that passes through it per day. Choose a filter that can last you between two and six months and a filter with a replacement indicator to help you know when to replace it. It is not advisable to use filters for over six months or after the water pitcher has gone through 40 gallons of water. After six months, bacteria and moss start to grow inside your water filter pitchers and contaminate your water.
3. Jug Size/ Water Capacity
It is essential to check how much water the water filter pitchers can process because a large capacity means that one does not need to refill the jug repeatedly. A 10 cup saves you many hassles because filling the pitcher can be inconvenient with a small cup capacity.
4. Jug Material
Most filter jugs are made of plastic materials that is an advantage because it means they are lightweight and affordable. However, different levels of plastic quality and low-quality plastics can be a health hazard resulting in leaching some chemicals into the water and interfering with your hormone levels. You should choose BPA-free jug material as it is a safe option even though not 100%.
5. Pour Spout
The shape of the spout determines how you control the water flow. Some pitchers have a tapered spigot that delivers water in a narrow flow, while others have a rounded shape spout limits the control you have as you tip the pitcher. Also, consider checking the spout lid as some pitchers have a cover over the lid that blocks germs and dust from entering while others don’t have one.
A wooden handle is better when moving a full water pitcher because it offers plenty of support and can also be aesthetic to compliment your kitchen layout. Most filter water pitchers have a plastic handle, but some of the plastic handles are seamless, where the top and bottom are attached to the pitcher. If you get a water filter pitcher that interests you, at least check if it has a non-slip grip.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the most effective water filter pitcher to use for tap water?
According to the TDS and lead removal, the most effective is the ZeroWater ZP-010, which comes on top of our list. It features a large 10 cup capacity while being affordable and durable. The water treatment also has a water spigot as a plus to the standard pour spot and even total dissolved solids TDS water quality tester.
2. Is the Zero water filter better than Brita filter?
Brita filter is rated better because it produces a good flavor and utmost odor reduction leaving minimal tastes. On the other hand, Zerowater gets rid of the odor, but the metallic taste remains. Also, on the price tag level, purchasing a Brita is more cost-effective because the filter replacement cost of Zerowater is on the high side because of how often it needs replacing.
The Zerowater is better than the Brita water pitcher filter in removing lead and better at getting rid of TDS and has an ion exchange that works as a contaminant sponge. If lead is a primary concern of your water and the high filter replacement costs are not a bother, the Zerowater pitcher filter is a great option.
3. How do the best water filter pitchers work?
They work when you pour water into the top of the pitcher, and a filtration process starts that gets rid of contaminants and produces filtered water.
4. How often should I wash my water pitcher?
Different pitchers have different timelines, and the best thing is to refer to your user’s guide to get the best way to maintain your specific pitcher. However, there’s a general rule where you are advised to wash your water pitcher every time you change the filter.